rapsod

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:37: rapsod,

:07: for it, it coud be usefull to do a new crossbow (medieval this time...)

I have done only one crossbow here my link about it in this website...

http://webarcherie.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4650

but other people have already done medevial crossbows so they could answer to you too...

for me your project is fine...

you're welcome here

Edited by JMG

This is only project. I am going to make it in next few months. What is best material for nut (I don't know how is called in franch)? I saw on one site that horn of deer is good.

Is there any modern material (that is not metal) good for nut? :07:

Rapsod

Is there any modern material (that is not metal) good for nut? :07:

Rapsod

Crossbow nuts may be cut out of delrin (Polyacetal) or any similar polymer, (glass reinforced or not). The main advantages of Delrin is that it is commonly available in rods of suitable diameters, strong enough for this use if the design is sturdy enough, and self-lubricating, so it doesn't need special design around the fit on the axle.

Good luck. :37:

Edited by ishi78

Thanks everybody for tips.

The mehanism of my future crossbow is based on one picture I found on this site:

http://198.144.2.125/Crossbows/crossbows.htm

It is excelent site for crossbow making. I am sure that you already know that. :29:

Ishi thank for delrin tip. I will try to find it. Where I live there is poor choice of materials. :22:

Rapsod

Thanks everybody for tips.

The mehanism of my future crossbow is based on one picture I found on this site:

http://198.144.2.125/Crossbows/crossbows.htm

It is excelent site for crossbow making. I am sure that you already know that. :29:

Ishi thank for delrin tip. I will try to find it. Where I live there is poor choice of materials. :22:

Rapsod

Hello

and where are you living Rapsod ?

I live in Serbia and Montenegro. there is a small bay in Montenegro called Boka Kotorska. I live there.

We are in "transition" from comunism to capitalisam but that is too slow. For example I am craizy about hand tools: hammers, planes, saw... I don't have to buy them here.

Well, I can make it but... I don't have anywhere to buy good tool steel. :05:

What can you do? Nothing.

I start to build chain mail. I finished 70% of it and then I run out of saw!!! I used a little saw for ring cuting but that saw was brought by my father when he was in germany. This is my life drama. :( I used 3mm iron wire for it. This 70% is about 25kg heavy.

:wacko:

Maybe I can find rod of teflon (we call it teflon but who know whay it is exactly). It is like plastic and very strong. It will go for now.

Rapsod

Teflon is polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), a polymer of fluoride and ethylene trade mark of DuPont. Teflon is well known at protecting surfaces but used to for making electrochemistry detection cells because his large resistance to acids and/or organic solvants. As Ishi told in a precedent thread about this polymer, mechanicals properties of PTFE are not the best way for crossbow nut utilisation.

I live in Serbia and Montenegro. there is a small bay in Montenegro called Boka Kotorska. I live there.

We are in "transition" from comunism to capitalisam but that is too slow. For example I am craizy about hand tools: hammers, planes, saw... I don't have to buy them here.

Well, I can make it but... I don't have anywhere to buy good tool steel. :05:

What can you do? Nothing.

I start to build chain mail. I finished 70% of it and then I run out of saw!!! I used a little saw for ring cuting but that saw was brought by my father when he was in germany. This is my life drama. :( I used 3mm iron wire for it. This 70% is about 25kg heavy.

:wacko:

Maybe I can find rod of teflon (we call it teflon but who know whay it is exactly). It is like plastic and very strong. It will go for now.

Rapsod

an alternative for the lack of tool in your country is to forge it! blacsmith or farrier (still common in the balkans!) could help you!

We have tools :P but we have not materials. You see, you can not go to shop and buy piece of "dry" maple tree because nobody use maple tree for anything. So I must go in forest, cut tree, make some profiles from it, and leave them to dry next 5 years. :05: But we got fir trees. Nobody can imagine how much we have fir trees. And pine trees too. But not fine streight tree. Nooooo. That can be too easy.

You can find lot of iron profiles but there is no steel. The worst thing is that I can't find tool steel. Some people here use leaf spring from cars for tool steel. It is good but not the best.

Have anybody of you been in boka kotorska? There was before '90 a Club Mediteraneo on one island called st Marko. It was for franch people only. The whole island was covered with huts. There are standing all these years.

You see, you can not go to shop and buy piece of "dry" maple tree because nobody use maple tree for anything. So I must go in forest, cut tree, make some profiles from it, and leave them to dry next 5 years. :05: But we got fir trees. Nobody can imagine how much we have fir trees. And pine trees too. But not fine streight tree. Nooooo. That can be too easy.

Right, Rapsod, I fully understand what you mean, but be aware that we can't either find easlily dry wood logs suitable for bow making here in France. I don't complain : compared to the living conditions of your country, we must be conscient that we live in some privileged paradise, but there is no really organized market for extensive bow supplies except obviously in the US. :bhaoui..:

So most of us cut their own supply of staves or try their best to exchange it from a fellow forester for one bottle of nice stuff :23:

By the way, I don't understand what you mean by fir tree. :28:

You can find lot of iron profiles but there is no steel. The worst thing is that I can't find tool steel. Some people here use leaf spring from cars for tool steel. It is good but not the best.

I feel it is the same here for most people, unless you are professionally involved in using special steels, good steel is impossible to find in usual "do-it-yourself" stores.

Have anybody of you been in boka kotorska? There was before '90 a Club Mediteraneo on one island called st Marko. It was for franch people only. The whole island was covered with huts. There are standing all these years.

Sorry, I would have liked to, but... I'm probably not that kind of "only" :10:

We have tools :P but we have not materials. You see, you can not go to shop and buy piece of "dry" maple tree because nobody use maple tree for anything. So I must go in forest, cut tree, make some profiles from it, and leave them to dry next 5 years. :05: But we got fir trees. Nobody can imagine how much we have fir trees. And pine trees too. But not fine streight tree. Nooooo. That can be too easy.

indeed, pine and fir tree are not very good wood.

nevertheless I think that if it grows up slowly, with particular climatic conditions, that can give something good.

have you cypress where you live ?

the tiller of my crossbow is made in this wood. but it's not the variety who is usually used for the hedges, it has a fir shape. the fruits are approximately 1.5cm big. it's not very high. the foliage begins rather low. it's a nice and hard wood, with a lot of different colors. the only disadvantage is that it has a lot of nodes ( :05: ). I'm going to post some pictures of my crossbow, soon. the bow is made in hazel tree. more informations here : http://webarcherie.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5417.

Nobody say anything about mehanism of my future crossbow. I think that is too complex.

I must make simplier form of any part.

And when I misured elements I notice that handle is too narrow and it is little too small for one very powerfull crossbow.

I will make bow in wood with animal tendons glued with rabit skin glue.

Hello RAPSOD,

for me your system is OK, a little complicated like the origin medieval but it must work...

as you can see in the following window, the original is easier to built...(thanks Birke for your picture...you gave me to explain the medieval system)

post-58-1127334139_thumb.jpg

I forget to translate text near nut and nera ticler. Text near nut say that this is the most secure mehanism till now (because I draw few prototypes before this), Upper is hold by 5mm and lower 3mm (it is going to be very strong crossbow so security is very inportan). Text near tickler say that max. moviment of tickler is only 2cm what is too small.

I draw this mehanism just to lower force on tickler, but moviment of it is reduced.

it's right, your prototype must be easy to start, but hard to be buildt ! unless you have good material and tools..

I have 2 questions :

1) how is rearmed the blue intermediary piece ?

2) which is the utility of what I surrounded on the nut ?

post-58-1127411004_thumb.jpg

Edited by birke