Tir Au Pouce. Cuir ? Cuir !

Voici le texte qui accompagnait ces photos d'un ami japonnais sur face de bouc ( c'est peut être dans la langue de la perfide ) :

Eureka! Following my post a few days ago about the leather artifact in the Metropolitan Museum New York.,which they label as an Egyptian archer’s “wrist guard”, I can now confidently declare that it is in fact a thumb tab – for thumb-release shooting.

Thanks to Pierre Yves Grenier and Ryan Roth Bartel whose comments to my original post brought my attention to the small size of the object.

Until then, I had blithely gone along with the Met’s description but once they pointed out the actual tab is just over a couple of inches, I realized it could be a thumb tab. Once that thought is established, you can quickly see how its shape is like that of the thumb

I made a replica of it yesterday and shot my angular bow with it. It worked perfectly! It is clear from Ancient Egyptian art that they are using a thumb release. What we didn’t know previously was the nature of thumb protection – there seemed no evidence for either gloves (as the Japanese use) or thumb-rings (as most composite bow cultures use). Now we have a clear indicator that it was this ingenious thumb tab. I imagine the same device was used by the Hittites and the Assyrians.

So that puzzle is solved. However it leaves us with a new one. The Met may have got the identification of the object wrong – they were confused by the fact that it had been found tied to the archer’s wrist – but we must presume, until proven otherwise, that they are correct about the dating of the find. They give it as 1961 – 1917 BC. This around 300 hundred years prior to the arrival of the Hyksos !

It is currently widely accepted that it was the Hyksos who introduced the composite, angular bow into Egypt. It is this type of bow with which we generally associate a thumb-draw. Prior to that Egyptians were using wooden bows. We might have assumed that they used these with a ‘Mediterranean’ three-finger draw but this little tab would suggest otherwise.

The other remaining great mystery to me is WHY does it have that little nipple on the end?

Edited by wendat

Rapidité de tir et tenue de la flèche plaquée contre l'arc par l'index de corde qui tient même avec archer à cheval au galop. :06:

Par contre difficile à maitriser, c'est une technique bien particulière avec des utilisateurs fort peu nombreux :wacko:

The question à deux cesterces : A quoi sert le petit téton de cuir au bout de cette "palette" ?

Il faudrait essayer avec et sans téton..............peut-être à ménager le bout du pouce sans gêner le glissement de la corde..............

Rapidité de tir et tenue de la flèche plaquée contre l'arc par l'index de corde qui tient même avec archer à cheval au galop. :06:

Par contre difficile à maitriser, c'est une technique bien particulière avec des utilisateurs fort peu nombreux :wacko:

Vrai pour la France et l'Europe occidentale, mais du Japon à la Hongrie on tire au pouce.

Edited by wendat

Etonnant de ne pas retrouver des équivalent ailleurs et a d'autres époques. L'anneau de pouce aurait il des aspect supérieurs ou bien l'influence turco-mongole était très forte?

Le cuir se conserve moins bien que la corne, l'ivoire ou le cuivre.......et ce devait être du consommable, jeté aussitôt usé.