collage de la peau

owl

Bonjour Olivier et les p'tit Zolliens

J'ai enfin récupère une peau de crotale. Je dois maintenant la coller.Question: Faut il tailler la peau avent ou après le collage. Doit on utiliser la même colle que pour les tendons,pour combien de séchage? quand doit on enrouler la bande de tissus pour le séchage, tout de suite ou attendre une légère prise. Peut on utiliser de l'acrylique ou une colle plus rapide? Peux on vernir par la suite et quel type de vernis? Merci pour les réponses j'aimerai que mon arc (mongol) soit tout beau pour Crepy.

Il y a ce sujet pour les arcs en fibre.

J'avais aussi vu ce sujet, mais l'explication est en anglais. Colle Titebond 2, pas de vernis mais de l'huile dure Tru-oil. Il y a sûrement moyen de faire autrement.

Applying Snakeskins

Materials List:

Bench vise

Titebond II

2 snakeskins

2 Ace bandages

4 spring clamps

File for cutting skin edge (or razor knife)

sand paper

Tru Oil

You'll love doing it this way because it is so easy.

Put your bow in a vice at the handle with the back of the bow up. Use Titebond II and size the back of the bow with just using your finger to smooth it on so it is covering. Not so it is running everywhere. Take a one snakeskin and unroll it starting at the limb tip rolling it down the limb towards the handle. You should have about 4" of skin to spare when you reach the handle. Do the same to the other limb.

Now work the snakeskin by moving it so the diamonds are centered on the back. Start at the limb tip and work your way towards the handle pushing the air bubbles out working the bubbles to the sides of the limbs. Usually done with the thumbs. I do this for about 5 minutes or just when the bubbles are gone. You can hear the bubbles escaping as you push them to the sides.

Now take an Ace bandage and wrap the bandage around the skin and limb so that the extra skin is folded under the limb and then wrap down the rest of the limb towards the handle tightly. Do this on both limbs. I take a plastic spring clamp and clamp the Ace bandage at the limb tip so it doesn't move or the snakeskin won't shrink and move as the skin dries. Then I clamp another clamp at the other end of the snakeskin at the handle. Do this to both limbs. I wait for 48 hrs. and take off the clamps and Ace bandages and push on the skin to see if it moves and if it is dry. This all depends on how much glue you put on it for the drying time. It can take as long as 72 hrs. to dry.

Now you have a snakeskin on the back of your bow but the skin needs to be cut off where you want it to be cut off. You can use a file and file at the corner edge of the back of the bow wood and use the file to cut off the snakeskin. This works really well. Or, you can use a razor knife and cut the skin off. I don't like the cut mark the knife leaves in the bow because then I have to sand more to get the cut marks out. You will have to sand either way.

Now to finish the look of the skin, take some duct tape and put it on the snakeskin. Rub the duct tape into the snakeskin and when you pull off the duct tape the scales will come with it. Do this until no more scales come off. For finishing, sand the edges of the skin going with the scales on the skin so it doesn't ruff up the skin. Sand the edge of the skin lightly so the skin blends into the wood. If there is a little edge left on the skin the finish coats of oil should fill it in and smooth that out.

I finish my skins with just Tru Oil applied with my finger. If you are putting overlays on your limb tips the overlays should go on first before the snakeskin and lay the snakeskin up to and around your overlays. The Titebond II is excellent glue for these snakeskins. I've done over 50 bows this way and haven't had any skins come loose enough that a little Duco cement wouldn't fix an edge. That may have only happened to one of my hunting bows that gets alot of abuse.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if needed. And of course, send me a pic when you're done.

curtis.brisky@comcast.net

Bonjour Corbeau

Merci pour ton post c'est exactement ce que je cherchais l'anglais pas de problème. Dernière question au sujet de la colle: puis-je utiliser la même colle que celle qui m'a servi pour le backing?(granule peau)

...Dernière question au sujet de la colle: puis-je utiliser la même colle que celle qui m'a servi pour le backing?(granule peau)

D'accord avec Agardel, et j'aurais même tendance à croire que c'est mieux que toute autre colle dans le cas d'un dos en tendons.

Désolé d'arriver un peu tard sur la question.

Pour moi pas d'autre colle que le collagène et la peau doit avoir trempé quelques instants

pour être réhydratée ; en revanche une journée de séchage suffit, à mon sens.

difficile d'en dire plus maintenant mais je pourrais le faire à Crépy.